The Oswego chapter of ∆K was initiated in 1926 and recognized by the college in March of 1927, making it the third chapter behind Cortland State (1925). In 1930 the fraternity was nationalized and incorporated. Because of the confusion with the Ku Klux Klan, the National Fraternity Called for a vote at the Annual Convention where on March 12, 1936, the name was formally changed to Delta Kappa Fraternity. Since it had been known as Tri-Kappa and the triangle had been used to symbolize TRI. The Fraternity went inactive from 1944-1946 as its members joined the armed services. The chapter was reactivated in 1947. In 1953, the SUNY Board of Trustees decided to ban all national fraternities and sororities at state own institutions based on discrimination during the recruitment of new members. Several national organizations fought the ruling in Webb vs. State University of New York. The Fraternity was able to survive through changing the name to Delta Kappa Gamma in 1954 and then formally re-chartering on October 22, 1955.
Delta Kappa Kappa Fraternity currently resides at 86 Sheldon Avenue in Oswego, New York. Over the years there have been several official Fraternity houses. First on our history is our house on West Bridge Street house followed by the Wallace House on West Fifth Street from 1935 until the outbreak of World War II, and then followed up by our glorious home at 15 Bronson Street. Purchased in 1948, the house was a large stone structure with a frame wing to the West. The building was originally constructed in 1826, with the addition made at the turn of the century. The main floor of the building was Victorian in its design. The rooms included a drawing room, library, dining room, kitchen and front parlor, which were very spacious and ornate. The woodwork was mahogany, and the ceilings were covered with ornamental plaster. Fireplaces were present in each room down stairs with large mirrors overhead. Brother’s rooms were on the second and third floors. Tragically on January 9th 1983 our house at 15 Bronson Street was destroyed by fire. After efforts to rebuild, it soon to have become National Historical Society Home, we were forced to sell the land and take the proceeds to purchase our current beautiful home one block from the Oswego State campus on 86 Sheldon Avenue.
The Fraternity Bond
The two things that the brothers of ∆KK are particularly proud of are our "colors" and our house. The colors are very special to us because they represent our legacy. The maroon and white are the only colors worn by ∆K Brothers, and as such, are highly visible on campus. The ∆K house is also very special to us because it is the one thing more than any other that represents the unity and strength of our bonds. Like the other local Fraternities who own houses, we take great pride in maintaining our home as a place to not only just celebrate social functions, but to also nurture the growth of our brotherhood. The acquisition of a house is not only a huge responsibility, but an honor that is most cherished on the Oswego campus. In order to maintain such a possession the active involvement of every brother is needed.
We're Brothers Pledged Together...
∆KK is a social Fraternity that not only promotes fraternizing, but is also concerned with academics and community service. The past history of the relationship between ∆KK and the College is very positive. The Founding Principles of Delta Kappa Kappa are:
Fellowship: ∆K was founded as a social fraternity and it continues in these efforts. The values of membership into an organization that builds friendships and a common bond has shown to have positive effect throughout a member's life.
Scholarship: ∆K was founded as a fraternity to support aspiring teachers. This fraternity supports our members in their academic endeavors. Additionally, the fraternity encourages lifelong education and learning to foster continuous personal, intellectual, and professional growth.
Leadership: Fraternal organization by nature create opportunities for its members to develop leadership qualities. Delta Kappa Kappa is no different. Leadership education and training is not only through their experiences but through workshops and trainings developed to prepare members for officer positions and professional opportunities after graduation.
Establishment of the Alumni Association
During the mid-2000's, concerns were raised about the long-term success of the fraternity without any organized support from the fraternity alumni. An Alumni Board was established in the fall of 2007 to address the major concerns about capital renovations to the fraternity house as well as improved engagement between alumni and undergraduate members. By 2010, the board had secured the purchase of the fraternity house from the bank, paying off over $25,000 for the mortgage. The alumni board had also improved the fraternity house with new windows, support beams in the basement, and a new roof that would ensure the house remained in working order for years to come.
Support for the 90th Anniversary
In 2015, the original members of the alumni association had concluded their terms in office and new officers began their involvement with the fraternity. The preparation for the 90th anniversary began early with consistent outreach between the alumni association, the University, alumni and undergraduate members. Reunion 2016 brought nearly 300 members back to Oswego to celebrate the founding of Delta Kappa Kappa. The 90th anniversary was a huge success for the fraternity and rejuvenated it's members to continue their involvement with the brotherhood.
The Fraternity Today
The fraternity continues to thrive at SUNY Oswego hosting philanthropic events for the Child Advocacy Center of Oswego County as well as performing community service for those living on Sheldon Avenue. 86 Sheldon continues to be modernized with two new bathrooms, improved support for staircases, and other improvements that ensures the facility is safe and secure for everyone. The undergraduate members strive to uphold the Founding Principles of Delta Kappa Kappa through their actions and involvement at SUNY Oswego and in the community.